visa for Germany - language courses and working holiday

Visa information for Germany

1. You can come to Germany without a visa, if you are ...

... from a country that is marked as "no visa" on this list of the German Foreign Office. Duration: 90 days (except EU citizens, who can stay forever).

Prolongation beyond 90 days:

Very easy, if you are from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Korea, New Zealand or the USA: once in Berlin, you can apply for a residence permit here in Berlin. The application is easy and comfortable. Other nationals, who can come for 90 days without a visa, can prolong their stay quite easily, too: You are not granted a residence permit, but often you can get a visa extension or a different visa tailormade for the purpose of your stay. If you are in Berlin and are not sure what you need to do, just come to our office - we´ll be happy to explain and consult.

2. If you do need a visa, because your country ...

... has a "YES" behind its name on this list of the German Foreign office, we will send an invitation document for the visa application.

In the invitation we have to confirm, that all costs have been taken care of - thus please note that we can send out the invitation only after having received full payment from you. In case of visa rejection, the full amount will be refunded except for a handling fee of Euro 200. Please find here information about the visa regulations for Germany.

3. Working Holiday visas for Germany

... are an option for citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan:

  • age between 18 and 30 (35 for Canadians*)
  • stays of up to 12 months
  • sufficient funds for the first three months (ca. 250 euro per month)

With a Working Holiday visa you can look for a job in Berlin and make some money. Please keep in mind that it will be difficult fo find a job with little or no German language skills. Taking German classes will definitely enhance your chances.

When to apply: BEFORE coming to Germany if you are from Canada, South Korea, Taiwan or Hong Kong (just contact your local German embassy or consulate); before OR after having arrived in Germany for citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Japan. See also the German Foreign Office´s website.

>>> GLS offer to students who travel on a working holiday visa and who take a German course of min. 8 weeks: 1 free hour of consulting, with information about where and how to find a job in Berlin. We will not find the job for you, but we will help and enable you to find one yourself.

* In Canada the name of the visa ist not "Working Holiday", but "Youth Mobility Visa"